Dmytro has more than 10 years of experience in international dispute resolution, including international investment and commercial arbitration according to all major arbitration rules, as well as international litigation.
Mr. Shemelin authored over 50 publications on international dispute resolution and the issues of Ukrainian law.
- MIDS (Geneva University and Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies), LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement;
- National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy (specialist in law, degree with honors).
Languages: English, Russian, Ukrainian.
Membership and Activities:
- Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (ACIArb).
- Acted for Ukraine in more than 5 investment treaty arbitrations under ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules, including OAO Tatneft v Ukraine, brought pursuant to the Energy Charter Treaty with claims exceeding USD 2bn;
- Acted for a Ukrainian agricultural group in a set of arbitrations under LCIA, ICC and Ukrainian ICAC rules and related court proceedings against an international syndicate of banks;
- Acted for a Ukrainian shipowner in a set of LMAA arbitrations in London against a non-performing charterer;
- Acted for a Ukrainian industrial group in a LCIA arbitration against foreign investment companies in relation to an infrastructure development project in Ukraine;
- Acted for a foreign bank in a number of arbitrations and court cases relating to the recovery of damage from a major international fraud estimated to exceed USD 6bn;
- Acted for a Ukrainian contractor in an AAA arbitration in Texas related to an oil well stimulation project;
- Consulted a number of international insurers in several cases concerning the assets lost in the war zone in Donbas and in the occupied Crimea.