Banking and finance are the areas of our core expertise. Nearly every year the firm and its partners Armen Khachaturyan, Iryna Pokanay and Svitlana Poroschuk are noted as the very best in Ukraine in this field by prominent Ukrainian and international peer review-based ratings such as PLC Which Lawyer? and Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers. Among our clients are Barclays Capital, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein, HSBC, ING Bank, JP Morgan Chase, Kookmin Bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Societe Generale, Standard Bank, Swedbank, UBS Investment Bank, State Savings Bank of Ukraine Oschadbank, Ukreximbank, Ukrsibbank, and Ukrsotsbank.
We have advised leading banks and financial institutions on major projects in Ukraine, including:
- First Ukrainian International Bank (FUIB) in connection with its merger with Dongorbank, including consulting on the banks reorganization issues, drafting necessary documents, and coordination of the merger process;
- Aval Bank in a USD 1.028 billion sale of a controlling stake in the bank to Raiffeisen International;
- Swedbank, a leading Nordic banking group, in USD 735 million acquisition of TAS-Kommerzbank, creation of the first bank holding group, and merger of its Ukrainian bank subsidiaries;
- Sberbank, Savings Bank of the Russian Federation, on a USD 700 million dollars syndicated financing to Metinvest, the largest metals manufacturing holding in Ukraine;
- Citigroup and Merrill Lynch in connection with USD 368 million secured loan facility provided to a group of companies including software development arm of Flextronics International;
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in a number of major projects including a USD 100 million subordinated loan to UkrSibbank, a major Ukrainian bank majority-owned by BNP Paribas;
- International Finance Corporate, part of the World Bank group, in a number of matters including USD 75 million financing to Mriya group, one of the largest agro holdings in Ukraine;
- UniCredito Italiano on regulatory issues related to banking, stock market, and general corporate law and help Unicredito obtain approvals of the central bank of Ukraine for their merger with Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG (HVB Group), one of the leading German banks;
- Standard Bank and BNP Paribas as lead managers in connection with USD 100 million Eurobond offering by Bank Pivdennyi;
- Citigroup and Standard Bank as lead managers in connection with USD 100 million Eurobond offering by Forum Bank;
- Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein, JP Morgan Chase and UBS as lead managers in connection with Kyiv City USD 150 million Eurobond issue, the first municipal Eurobond offering in Ukraine;
- Ukreximbank in connection with USD 150 million Eurobond issue.
In addition to our expertise in these standard matters, we are known for our innovative solutions of novel and complex legal problems: from securitization to cash-pooling arrangements. We provide a full range of legal services in banking and finance.