Ukraine with its major metallurgy and chemical industries has a highly energy-intensive economy. We recognized this early on dedicating a lot of attention to the development of our energy practice. Because of this early choice our clients can benefit from our 20 years of expertise in the sector.
Asters is ranked among Top 3 law firms for energy and natural resources according to the Ukrainian Law Firms 2015 handbook and is highly recommended for energy and natural recourses by Chambers Europe 2015.
We work for major energy companies and government agencies responsible for energy matters:
- Toshiba Corporation in acquisition of Westinghouse and General Electric in acquisition of Vetco International.
- Union Fenosa and EDF in privatisation tenders for Ukrainian power companies;
- CEZ Group, a major Czech energy producer and power distributor, on various issues of Ukrainian law, including a full-blown due diligence, in connection with a planned acquisition of major regional power distribution companies;
- Danish Environmental Protection Agency in a carbon transaction with the City of Kyiv;
- Green Gas International, a global gas management and utilisation company, on corporate, regulatory and energy law issues in connection with the company's coal mine methane utilisation programme;
- International Finance Corporation on a $45 million loan to AES-Kyivoblenergo and AES-Rivneoblenergo, power distribution companies of AES Corporation in Ukraine;
- Bechtel Inc. in negotiations with the Ministry of Energy and the government of Ukraine in connection with the client's operations as one of the major general contractors of the Chernobyl Shelter project;
- KazMunaiGaz, Kazakhstan state oil and gas company, regarding joint venture with Naftogaz of Ukraine, Ukrainian state oil and gas company.
In addition to our expertise in these standard matters, we are known for our innovative solutions of novel and complex legal problems: from construction of liquefied gas terminals to the regulation of the wholesale gas market. We provide a full range of legal services in the energy sector.