Doing business in Ukraine often involves scrutiny of law enforcement agencies and regulators. Sometimes this may have adverse consequences, such as criminal charges against the company's management. Ukraine does not recognize corporate criminal liability, and therefore it is always the management who is at risk.
Competent and timely legal advice will help to avoid violations, evaluate potential risks or, where a criminal proceeding is pending, to properly determine the course of action and defense tactics, or even get criminal charges dismissed before trial.
Considering relevance of the issue, as well as needs of the business, Asters has extended the range of provided services and has been actively developing white-collar crime practice.
Asters attorneys specializing in white-collar crime have deep practical experience of investigation activities at law enforcement agencies, as well as of human rights protection. This makes Asters well-positioned to successfully protect clients' interests at any stage of criminal proceedings.
- providing full legal support for business activities, evaluating their legal compliance and conducting internal investigations;
- representing client's interests before regulators and law enforcement agencies, providing legal assistance in the course of audits and in connection with inquiries made by such agencies;
- conducting attorney's investigations (including making attorney's inquiries and collecting evidence to prove innocence of crime or facts allowing for release from penalty or its reduction);
- ensuring comprehensive protection of client's interests regardless of her procedural status at pre-trial stage, including:
- appealing unlawful decisions or omissions of investigator, prosecutor or investigating judge;
- taking steps to achieve indemnification for damage resulting from crime;
- arranging for and support of independent expert examinations;
- protecting client's interests in the course of trial, as well as appellate reviews by second and third instance courts.